KAMPALA. Tears rolled in Kabojja zone, Kyengera town council, in Wakiso today as police and residents retrieved the bodies of two men killed in a blaze.
Police identified the deceased as Tonny Kyambadde and Mathias Yawe who had been living together for over two years in a rented house.
Kampala Metropolitan police spokesperson, Luke Owoyesigyire, said preliminary investigations had revealed that the fire was caused by an electric circuit.
“Our fire brigade team and residents put off the fire but the two men were already dead. Neighbours said the fire could have been caused by a circuit since there was no charcoal stove inside,” Mr Owoyesigyire said.
Police said neighbouring houses were saved from being consumed by the fast spreading fire but warned residents to always leave access ways for fire fighters in case of rescue emergencies.
By press time the bodies of Kyambadde and Yawe were lying at Mulago hospital morgue as investigations into the incident were underway.
There have been several fire incidents in Kampala that have left scores killed. For instance, one incident in Church Zone, in Makindye killed three children.
Victims were identified as Mariam Nakato 3, Frank Waiswa, 3, and Ryan Kizza, 1. Police said the incident happened in the wee hours when the deceased’s father, Moses Bukenya, had left a burning candle.
The trio had been living with their father after his separation with their mother. Their elder brother, Ronie Lubega, survived with serious injuries and was admitted to Mulago National Referral Hospital where he spent several days undergoing treatment.
Mr Owoyesigyire cautioned the public to avoid keeping burning objects such as charcoal stoves, candles and fuel jerrycans inside houses.
“Some people have died of suffocation because of charcoal stove smokes. We ask people to stop leaving burning candles and charcoal stoves in houses. Always check your electricity wiring to avoid being exposed to live wire or electricity circuits,” Mr Owoyesigyire said.