Toddler burnt in house fire

0
15
By MALIK FAHAD JJINGO

Police in Masaka District are investigating circumstances under which a baby was burnt in a house fire last night.
Muhammad Matovu Isham, a son to a one Nasaazi Sharifah is struggling for his life at Masaka Regional Referral hospital after he was badly burnt in a fire that gutted their house on Monday night.

The incident occurred at Nakayiba Zone B in Nyendo – Ssenyange Division in Masaka District.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a lit candle which was left in the house unattended to.

According to Ms Nasaazi, the fire started from the bedroom where the baby was sleeping at the time of the incident.
She says that an electric pole connecting their area to the power grid collapsed over the weekend and they reported the matter to the national power distributor UMEME, but they never responded.
‘’Our area was left in the darkness after the pole had collapsed so we resorted to using candles that caused the fire outbreak which burnt the baby badly on the head and on his right hand side,” she said.

Ms Nasaazi says that by the time of the incident, she had gone to the shop to buy some groceries, but was shocked to receive information that her house was on fire.

Mr Matovu, a husband to Nasaazi, said that the latter was also burnt when she tried to rescue the minor from the burning house.

Mr Lameck Kigozi, the Southern Regional Police spokesperson confirmed the incident, saying that it was too late to save the house since fire had already spread from the bedroom to other parts of the house.

He has however, warned residents against leaving lit candles in houses while going to sleep or going out of the house because they risk losing lives and property in house infernos.

This is the second house fire outbreak to be registered in the sub region in less than a week with the first case being reported in Bukomansimbi District over the weekend.

The weekend incident left Ms Josephine Nasuuna, a resident of Lugazi Village in Kibinge Sub county in Bukomansimbi District homeless after her house was gutted by fire, which destroyed all household property.

Monitor.co.ug

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here