MBALE- A 43-year woman and her daughter have been electrocuted in Nakusi village, Namanyonyi Sub-county, in Mbale District.
According to her neighbours, Sarah Namasobo and her daughter, Rehema Nandudu, 3, were electrocuted on Sunday evening after stepping on an electric wire while planting maize in their garden.
Namanyonyi Sub-county chairman, Mr Joab Jonabab Keki confirmed the incident.
“We have lost a mother who was pregnant, and her daughter. We have reported the case to police,” Mr Keki said.
Mr Keki said power theft, which is rampant in the area, has claimed several innocent lives.
“It’s unfortunate that wrong people in society illegally and dangerously tap electricity but it’s innocent people who pay the price,” Mr Keki said.
Mr Keki said there is need for immediate intervention by Umeme and police against illegal power connections in order to save lives.
Mr Mutwalibi Mboizi, the husband of the deceased, alleged that his neighbours are responsible for the illegal power connections
“They have caused the death of my beloved family members but I have nothing to do,” Mr Mboizi, who could not hold tears said.
Umeme’s Media Manager, Mr Stephen Ilungole cautioned members of the public against illegal power connections and urged them to be careful with fallen poles and sagging lines.
“It is a very unfortunate incident. We commiserate with the family. We, however, appeal to the public to support us by reporting incidents of illegal connections and power theft earlier for quick interventions,” he said.
The Elgon region Police Spokesperson, Mr Suwed Manshur said they have started investigating the matter.
“We want to know the person who tapped that power illegally,” Mr Manshur said.
He said bodies of the deceased have been taken to Mbale Regional Referral Hospital for a post-mortem.