Mbale. Residents of Mbale District are in panic following the increasing killings in the district. Four people have so far been killed in a space of two days in separate incidents.
The first was that of a 16-year-old boy who was beheaded and his torso dumped 200 metres away from his home in Zawanyanya Village, Bukasakya Sub-county, last Tuesday. The boy was a student of University Link in Mbale Town.
Last Wednesday, Nasur Musiho, 39, a businessman in Mbale Town, was also killed and his body dumped near the home of late Babalanda Emmanuel in Kireka Central Cell, Kireka Ward, Nakaloke Town Council, allegedly by people travelling in a white Toyota Premio.
Sources, who preferred anonymity, told Daily Monitor that the deceased was a government informer.
In the third murder, Bashir Wandeba, a guard at Noor Islamic Primary School in Nakaloke Town Council, was shot dead by unidentified assailants while on duty at night. Police said his killers are still unknown.
In another incident, Silmoni Mutoma was lynched in Nkoma Ward, Mbale Municipality, under unclear circumstances last Wednesday.
Elgon region police spokesperson Suwed Manshur says the murders are a cause of concern. “These murders are well planned by the assailants but we have intensified investigations and community policing,” Mr Manshur says.
He also adds they have arrested some suspects but declined to divulge more details.
“We have made some arrests in some cases and the suspects are helping with the investigations,” Mr Manshur says.
However, Mr Geoffrey Wanduku, a resident of Bungokho Sub-county, says the murders have left many unanswered questions and growing fears among residents.
“We are living in total fear because of the circumstances surrounding the murders. Police too seem puzzled,” he says.
Ms Hadija Nahamya, another resident, says before the murder of 16-year old boy, anonymous letters had been circulated by unknown people, demanding for 10 human heads.
“The letters were dropped three days before and people have been living in fear but this gruesome murder has even brought more pain and fear,” she says.
Police confirm that they received a report of dropped anonymous letters in the area.
The Bukasakya Sub-county chairperson, Mr Robert Mukamba, says security agencies should intervene and handle the situation before it escalates.
“But I also appeal to my people to be vigilant and identify wrong people in the society,” he says.
The Mbale Municipality deputy speaker, Mr Yasin Wabomba, says the government should intervene and pronounce itself on the state of security in the district.
“We need government intervention not just police because the situation is getting out of hand,” he says.
Pastor Ivan Mulembi of New Eden Church in Mbale Town, however, says the problem of insecurity in the country cannot be solved politically but spiritually.
“We need spiritual cleansing of this nation because sources of all evils are happening now, including kidnaps and murders,” he says.
The District Police Commander, Mr Matthias Turyasingura, however, calls for calm, saying police are in control.
“We are investigating all the murders and suspects will be arrested and face the law. We call upon our people to remain calm,” Mr Turyasingura says.
He says police detectives, homicide team and scene of crime officers are investigating the cases. He however, urges residents to be vigilant and report suspicious people in their communities to combat crime.
Recently, President Museveni revealed a 10–point master plan that included installing electronic number plates on all vehicles, among others to combat increasing cases of crime in the country.
January. A 21-year-old man was stabbed to death in a bar in Nakaloke town council.
May. Residents found the dead body of a man in the Mbale Central forest reserve in Nauyo-Bugema town council along Mbale-Tororo road.
June. Elijah Wambutu, a two-month old baby was burnt to death by her step mother.