The driver with nerves of steel will emerge the winner during the CMC Challenge Rally which starts today with a Super Special Stage at Festino Cite.
It is a perfect opportunity to lay down the marker early in the season, according to Arthur Blick Jr who won the event in 2015 on his way to the National Rally Championship (NRC) title. “If I can have a similar result on Sunday, I would not mind,” said Blick Jr, who will have a new navigator in George Ssemakula in a Shell Helix sponsored Mitsubishi Evo X.
He said its unfortunate Jas (Mangat) will be missing. “You like gauge yourself against top drivers. Am happy Ponsiano (Lwakataka) is back.” Blick Jr described the route as technical and he agreed with Joshua
Mayanja assessment that the Evo X will have a slight advantage over Subaru N14. “The Evo X has power and distance will not matter.” He was reacting to short sections which might give the Subaru an edge.
“In a tight sections, Skoda and the Subaru N14 will have an edge but
Evo X still the car because of power.” He also applauded the clerk of the course (David Nsobya) for designing a technical route. “It’s not all about speed, you have to handle the car in difficult conditions; tight, sharp corners and very rough. Whoever masters those will carry the day.”
The event is important to the organisers as three FIA officials Bertil
Klarin from Sweden, Willie Du Plessis and Steve Harding both from South Africa will be around to observe safety measures the organisers have put in place.
Over 50 drivers will take part in the 217.45km event of which 124.81km is competitive spread over 11 sections.
PROVISIONAL START ORDER – TOP 12
1. Ronald Ssebuguzi / Leon Ssenyange ( Evo X)
2. Hassan Alwi / Sirajih Kyambadde (Subaru N14)
3. Kepher Walubi / Anthony Mugambwa (Evo X)
4. Unissan Bakunda /Asuman Muhamed (Subaru)
5. Chrisitakis Fitidis/ Ratanaveer Darbar (Evo X)
6. Susan Muwonge/ Edmond Kyeyune (Subaru N12B)
7. Arthur Blick Jr /George Ssemakula (Evo X )
8. Duncan Mubiru /Musa Nsubuga (Subaru N14)
9. Omar Mayanja / Hussein Mukuye (Evo X)
10. Yasin Nasser/ Ali Katumba (Subaru GVB)
11. Musa Kabega Rogers Sirwomu (Evo IX)
12. Ponsiano Lwakataka/ Samuel Mugisha (Subaru N12B)