Nigerian Presidency has confirmed the release of 105 abducted Dapchi schoolgirls.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s media aide confirmed on Wednesday that the girls were being transported to meet their families.
Five of the girls had reportedly died.
The girls’ release comes barely a week after Defence minister Dan Alli promised that they would be set free.
Boko Haram fighters abducted the girls from Government Girls Science Technical College in Dapchi town, Yobe State on February 19.
Mr Amharic M-grah, whose daughters were among those abducted, told TheCable that his children were brought back on Wednesday morning.
“The report is true. I have seen my two daughters who were kidnapped last month,” he said.
Another Dapchi resident said there was confusion in the town as many people were fleeing out of fear.
“Boko Haram just returned the kidnapped girls this morning. They brought them back in the same set of vehicles which they used in conveying them last month,” the resident said.
“People are scared because they do not know what the insurgents are up to.”
President Buhari had assured that his administration would rescue and reunite all the Dapchi and Chibok abducted schoolgirls with their families.
The president gave the pledge in Damaturu at a meeting while on a visit to Yobe.
President Buhari said the government was re-strategising and partnering with local and international community to ensure the rescue of every missing schoolgirl.
He vowed to deal with those found culpable in the situation that led to the abduction of the schoolgirls.
“Anyone found wanting by the committee investigating the circumstances that led to the abduction of the girls will not be spared,” he said.