20 killed in Bududa mudslides

0
12
By Monitor Team

BUDUDA. Twenty people have been confirmed dead while an unknown number is feared dead after a devastating mudslides swept villages in Bakalasi Sub County in Bududa District.

The residents recovered some of the bodies, which were seen floating on river Suume, with broken limbs on Thursday afternoon.

Among the deceased were school children of Suume Junior Academy after its premises were buried and washed away.

The mudslides followed a heavy down pour that lasted for over 4 hours. 

By the time of filing this story, the residents had been joined by police officers and were still searching for more bodies in the debris and in the flooded river, which pours into River Manafwa. 

The survivors, some of whom sustained injuries have been admitted at Bukalasi health centre III for treatment. 

Over 500 people are reported to have also been displaced and are in need of shelter and food, according to the local leaders. 

The displaced residents, all living along the River bank, were seeking refuge in the nearby schools, churches and trading centres. 

But, by press time, the district and security leaders had convened a crisis meeting at the scene to chat a way forward on the fate of displaced and missing bodies. 

The Elgon region Police Spokesperson, Mr Manshur Sowedi confirmed that over 20 bodies have been retrieved but said more were still missing. 

“The number of dead people is believed to be more than 50,” Mr Manshur said. 

He said police are in touch with government to get equipment which will help them to recover the missing bodies.

COMPILED BY MICHEAL WONIALA, YAHUDU KITUNZI & FRED WAMBEDE

Monitor.co.ug

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here